Studying in the United States

Visiting the United States for Study in University and collage
Studying in the United States
There are over 124,000 public and private schools in the United States; over 2,000 postsecondary non-degree career and technical schools; and over 4,000 degree-granting institutions of higher education. Of the higher education institutions, over 1,600 award associate degrees and some 2,400 award bachelor's or higher degrees. Over 400 higher education institutions award research doctorates.

This large and diverse array of accredited educational institutions is complex, but there are ways to make it manageable and to locate appropriate institutions and programs for your needs.

Some essential tips for locating an appropriate institution include answering questions such as those grouped below.

Academic questions: What do I want to do with my education and life, and what subject(s) interest me? If I am entering higher education at the graduate level, in what specific subject specialization do I want to conduct research? Have I checked to be sure that the institution in which I am interested offers the program I want ? Is it accredited by a recognized accrediting agency? Have I checked with experts in that field about the institution and its program, regardless of whether I or my friends have heard of it or whether it appears on some commercial or popular ranking list?

Lifestyle and learning style questions: What are my interests, values, and needs? Will the school or higher education institution I am interested in, and its community, accommodate my needs? Will its teaching style, requirements, and support services help me to succeed? Does the school or community have a significant number of international students? If I am bringing dependents (family) with me, will they find the support and services they need?

Practical questions: Is the school or institution affordable? Have I checked to see if it provides scholarships, other types of funding, or campus work for which I may be eligible and which will not compromise my visa status? Are my qualifications sufficient to give me a chance at admission? And, have I reviewed what it may cost to live in the community where the school or institution is located?

Please go to Studying in the United States
[MS Word, 94K] for important information that you should consider before choosing a school or program.

USNEI was created in 1996 in response to requests from the (then) U.S. Information Agency (USIA, now the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State) and several private sector educational associations. These organizations sought a central information point for international education information and asked that it be located in the U.S. Department of Education

Study in U.S.A | Stay in America